Thursday, March 20, 2008

The most wonderful time of the year!

Welcome to my favorite weekend of the YEAR! It is better than Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July or the Fifth of May. When I was younger I would watch the regular college basketball season just to find out who might be the upset team of the tournament or who could win it all. When I was in school I would skip class to watch all the games. I even skipped classes in high school to attend the tournament locally. I sat on the very last row of the Huntsman Center just to be there.

Being at an NCAA sight is awesome. If you have not gone to a tournament game you really should attend. There is nothing like watching a low seed defeat a high seed. The arena goes crazy.

Today, I listened to the radio as much as I could and checked the Internet as often as possible. The games are on in the other room and I sneak away from the family to get scores. The great thing is, I catch my wife doing the same thing. She has the fever too.

I shared this passion with a school roommate who worked at a sports book in Reno before graduate school. I learned a lot about sports gambling from him. Every year during this weekend I am pretty sure he is watching the games. I know like me he has obligations that we did not have in school. I have lost touch with him over the years, but I am sure if he is watching them.

If you have never put life on hold to watch the do or die passion of March, I suggest you try it. You just need a good refrigerator and a few coolers for drinks and food. The number to every fast food delivery place in your neighborhood is also helpful. The most important thing to have .. a great chair or couch. Fill out your bracket, sit back, relax and enjoy!

1 comment:

living pink said...

first, so that you don't wonder who this crazy person is making a comment on your blog, it's susie's cousin nancy of hunka jess and aunt glenna lineage.

just wanted you to know that you're not alone in loving the madness. and you're right on in your love of an ncaa tourney game live. when utah went to the final four we hit one of the regionals and then flew to san antonio for the finals weekend...and had a blast even if utah only took second. it's definitely something that all bball lovers should do (and more than once)!