Sunday, March 2, 2008

Drive Time

Driving with small children can be a challenge. It also has its rewards. My favorite time is when my three year old is into chatting with the old man. Our conversations can be very entertaining. They can also cause a bit of a panic.

My daughter asked me this week me a question that caused panic, anxiety and exhilaration, "Daddy will you send me to College." Now she is three. She has not even applied to preschool. I had no idea where that idea came from. She has several cousins in college. Two are away at school. But I am not sure she even understands where they are.

So I quizzed her about college, she seem to know that you go away and learn things.

Two thoughts entered my mind simultaneously. You're to young for College and how to pay for it. Both seem to immobilize my mind, like being hit upside the head unexpectedly by a bat. After a few quick calculations, I realized I have 15 years to prepare for her going to College. I am so not ready.

3 comments:

neffgang said...

JG -

We've specialized in drive time. Years ago, we bought a car without a stereo and it was a huge thing for us as parents. Everywhere we'd go, we'd talk.

We still love to talk while we drive. Other cars pass by with multiple DVD's playing or with each occupant enraptured in their own ipod play list, but we talk.

We might be old-fashioned, but we sure love each other's company.

-BN

Anonymous said...

JG-

Todd was reading your blog to me out loud while I was trying to work the other night and I almost died laughing. You are an excellent writer! Thank you for sharing your warped, twisted perspective on life. I think you would make an excellent newspaper columnist one day if you ever get sick of being around those mean lawyers. Wendy

JimmyG said...

Thank you Wendy!