Saturday, February 9, 2008

Something will always happen...

An excerpt from an email to my wife when she was out of town ...

I walked into a house today and it was 50 degrees. The first thought was did we pay the gas bill? I have lived in a few places where paying the bill was the issue as to why something did not work. Water?

Anyway, the thermostat had a battery low warning. I set the kids down and went about figuring how to replace it. As I was fixing thermostat the smoke detector started chirping--the one on the 14 foot ceiling. I have been afraid of heights since the time my Grandmother fell off a ladder putting up Christmas lights at their old store. I remember watching helpless as she fell. Then, looking at her foot that was pointing the exact opposite way, then running into the store to tell my Grandpa. Then the hours spent at LDS hospital. Then the walker and crutches. As I took out the 12 foot ladder from the garage I wondered if it would traumatize my kids like my grandmas fall did me, if I fell. I was very careful. I replaced all the batteries in the smoke detectors and got the girls dinner. As I took the dog out my nephew and his friend drove up and asked how I was doing without my wife. I said just fine.

I should thank those that helped out when my wife was out of town a lot last month. Rob, Lisa, Joni and Stella. Kelly I am still waiting for you to pay up!!!!

No comments: