Friday, February 15, 2008

I think I need to write a little bit about the oldest child, Abby. She has been with us since shortly after we purchased our house. She is our social connection to the neighborhood. Everyone knows the black lab with the purple collar. If any one gives me a puzzled look as to where I live, I just say I am the one with the black lab and every one knows the house. She was once mistaken for a lab with a red collar which was running wild in the neighborhood. The person was quickly corrected by a neighbor. Abby does not run wild in the neighborhood. She was actually a little mad that the person suggested Abby could do such a thing.

When we first moved, a close neighbor's son came over and asked to play with Abby. He has been coming over ever since. On more then one occiasion he has sneaked out in only his BVDs to throw the ball for her when I have been out working in the yard.

Kids actually will come ring the door bell and ask to play with Abby. Sometimes I think their parents get mad at them and send them our way. I never quite know how to react to it. I think kids need good dog experiences so I have only refused once. It was after ten at night.

Abby has even been invited on walks by adult neighbors ... without us. I had no idea how to react to that. " Excuse me, can I take Abby for a walk with me. I just want some company." I wonder why they don't invite us, if they invite us on a walk, the Abby will come too. I mean what do you say to that?? No thanks, Abby only likes to walk with us. Your arms look a little weak she might pull you over? Abbys walk insurance has lapsed when we get it renewed we will call you?

I guess when you have a great dog, everyone wants to get in on it!

4 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Can she still climb up a ladder?

Todd said...

great post Jim - it made me laugh quite a bit...

Maybe my kids should come up and play with Abby for a while. That way we we can avoid getting a dog a few more months if they can borrow yours.

neffgang said...

Jimmer,

I don't know why I've been so out of the loop with your blog - but now I'm hooked!

-Brian

JimmyG said...

Deeds, yes she can and also jumps through a hula-hoop. she's a trick dog.