Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Power of a Dress ....

Yesterday as we walked from the store my daughter jumped in every puddle she saw. It was not until I lifted her in the car, I saw the mud all over the bottom of her pink sweat pants and tennis shoes. She did not care at all about getting wet and muddy. It was my wife that actually cared.

Today was a different story. My daughters were transformed into proper well-behaved (well, sort of) princesses just by slipping on dress. Both of my girls had on matching dresses, white sweaters, white tights and black patent leather shoes for church. Their moods were transformed. Ella danced around the house twirling and dancing about. She had to show every person she knew her beautiful dress. (Total credit goes to my wife for their daily outfits.) Later as we walked to the car, Ella had to be carried over every puddle. She would not go near one for fear of messing up her precious dress.

I reflected on the power of a dress. I thought about the many times in the future when my daughters will be transformed by a dress. The special days that will be marked by a dress. I remember several times a dress has been the marker for change in the lives of woman around me. My wife on our wedding day. My niece on hers. I remember the look on my bother in-laws face the day my niece was married. I got a tear in my eye and immediately had to stop thinking about the power of a dress.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! I got a personal invitation to view her dress today. I also got a tear in my eye as I read on. So true!

neffgang said...

Jimmer,

Keep up the great writing. I love to hear your take on things.

The dress thing is a kicker. As Maclaine gets ready to leave on a mission, I've thought about the dresses we'll shop for and buy.

(It's strange - or maybe not - that I'll insert myself into that process.)

Nonetheless, I think about the dresses she'll wear and where they will take her and what she'll say when she wears them. I think about the way she'll be received and hopefully loved and protected while she wears them.

Back home, I sit and see pictures of girls in dress up dresses, baptism dresses and now prom dresses. And every time I do, I not only feel the power of the dress, but, like you, the love you feel for the sweet, adorable, young things wearing those pieces of cloth and lace.

Here's to your long and extraordinary life full of beautiful dresses and even more beautiful little girls that wear them.

-Brian

h.justin said...

A certain seven year old friend of mine wants to be baptized only because she will get a new dress. That is the power of a dress.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I love when Ella wears a dress, she always has to twirl and show it off.
I really liked this post Jimmy G!

Offended yet? said...

Does the "power" work if I put on a dress?

JimmyG said...

Travis

I don't know? Does it?