Saturday, December 13, 2008

No room in the Inn!

It took all of December to find it. My wife searched the web daily for any sign of it, She asked numerous people. Then one day it happened, she found it. Can you guess what it is?

I had no idea it even existed. I had heard about it, but never seen it. I must say it is the true meaning of Christmas.

On 15th East between 13th and 9th South is a small canyon-like park. I had no idea there was even a park there. Once a year four different Christian denomination churches come together and transform it into a small city of David. Roman solders take the cost of admission from you, a sack of food for the food bank. You then enter a small market with live animals, hot drinks and a masses of people in costume with no room in any of the Inns. The entire place is lit with torches and luminaries.

A snowy pathway leads you out of the market past a 1500 lb camel named Chuck. Ella was able to pet Chuck. Leah was afraid of Chuck and pretty much demanded her mother carry her through out. Even though it was extremely cold, Leah refused, boots, hat and gloves.

Past Chuck and over a small hill is a small clearing. In the clearing is a small stable, complete wise men, two donkeys, twentieth century light and sound system, and of course Marry, Joseph and a real baby Jesus. On the hill over looking the stable were sheep tended by shepherds. The sound system plays the Christmas story. Ella was able to make it to the front row and watch the Christmas story acted out. Her favorite part was baby Jesus. Leah's favorite was the lambs. Susie favorite part was Leah screaming, "Dad, Ella, lets go!" when the story finished. My favorite part was just being together with my family and enjoying the moment.

Sheep, goats and little shepherd campfires run along the entire trail leading out of the park. It's peaceful and serene and the kids can pet the animals along the way. As we walked along the path, I thought to myself... This is what Christmas is all about!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like I should have taken Susie up on the offer to join you guys. Maybe next year.

mary said...

That sounds so cool! I wish I would have known about it!